Monday, October 27, 2014

Lord, I Will Follow Thee.

Hola!
I am loving it out here in Eureka. I learn more and more everyday. Being on a mission has opened my eyes. I have learned so much about people. As we were waiting to teach one of our investigators, we saw a car full of teenage boys, so we went to go talk to them. One of my cousins, Sarah who is serving in California said it perfectly: "when you feel awkward and uncomfortable with something, then it's probably the spirit." I felt beyond awkward just walking up to a car full of teenagers, but I know now why we felt we needed to. As we introduced who we were, they all seemed very uninterested...as was expected. We asked them if they are religious. One of them said he wasn't, the other is baptist, and the third yelled that he worships Satan." We both bore our testimony that God lives, and he has a plan for each of us. We told them that because of the restored gospel we know where we were before this life, our purpose here, and where we are going after we die. Two of the boys shrugged it off and ignored us, but the young man who said he worships Satan got out of the car and stood by us. He said: "I don't really worship Satan...I am atheist. I have a lot of questions about this life and where we go after we die." He said he has attempted suicide many times. It breaks my heart to hear that somebody would attempt suicide. I know that it was no coincidence we found Nick and were able to talk to him, and answer the questions that burned in his heart. God truly is aware of each and every one of His children. My responsibility as a servant of God is to tell people the good news of the gospel; and that they have a Savior who suffered and died in their behalf. Alma beautifully declared: "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." (Alma 7:11-12)

We are teaching a 95 year old woman named Francis. She has been a member of the Bible church since she was 14. She loves it when we visit. She watched all 4 sessions of general conference and loved it!! We gave her a Book of Mormon yesterday. I was totally expecting her to reject it because her church is THE BIBLE CHURCH and most people misunderstand that The Book of Mormon does not replace the Bible, but it is another testament of Jesus Christ. When we gave it to her she had the biggest smile and said she couldn't wait to read it. We told her that The Book of Mormon talks about the "other sheep" Christ mentions in the Bible. She smiled the whole time we told her about it. The Book of Mormon has changed my life, so it always really touches my heart when others say they will read it, I know that it will change their life as well. 

My companion is amazing! I love her. She is an incredible missionary, she is really able to focus on the needs of those we teach. Last week we went to a members home to make apple butter and meet together as a ward. Grandpa Daniel made chili...it was so delicious! And Sister Gadi loved it until she found out it had deer meat. For some reason it instantly changed the flavor for her. This is when she didn't realize what she was eating. :)


She is also obsessed with essential oils. The other night as we were getting ready for bed she came in like this...

And she really loves her brownies...

Oh how I love my sweet companion. 
I am so grateful for all of you, and your support! Stay awesome!
Love,
Sister Furniss 

No comments:

Post a Comment