Tuesday, October 14, 2014

MTC Experiences

From: Sariah Furniss <sariah.furniss@myldsmail.net>
Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Subject: YOMO! You Only Mission Once...
To: millfur25.family@blogger.com


Hello Everyone!!
So much has happened since last Wednesday that I don't even know where to begin. The first day was so overwhelming, that looking back now it is just hilarious to me. I was so nervous to get out of the car because I had no idea what to expect. Stepping out into the unknown is always scary, but that is why faith is so important!! I went straight to class after dropping everything off in my room, and met my companion. She is so amazing! Sister Shontell is from Gilbert, Arizona. I was amazed by how quickly we clicked. We met our whole district and we all had the exact same feelings about each other. It was as if we knew each other already. We are all such great friends that it is almost weird sometimes. Never before in my life have I felt so close to people I just barely met. There are two companionships of Elders and two companionships of Sisters. We have amazing MTC teachers. Brother Ries is from Hawaii and is pretty famous in the missionary world. He was on the district movies. He is INCREDIBLE! Brother Mcginn teaches with him, he just returned from his mission 2 weeks ago and when he found out I was from Blackfoot, Idaho he told me he was companions with Tyler Porter! Pretty cool. He is an amazing teacher as well. My other teacher is from Africa. His name is  brother Buahin. Funny story. Sister Shontell and I were role playing. After we got done role playing, being the nice companion that I am, I was complimenting her...
Me: "Sister Shontell that was so good! That relevates to his life so much!"
Brother Buahin: "Relevate? Do you mean relate Sister Furniss?
Me: "Oh...yeah."
Brother Buahin:  "I am from Africa and I can speak english better than you." 
So yes, my brothers were right when they said I would struggle with english. 
Miracles are happening already. At the very end of the third day we were all talking as a district. I started crying, and I don't cry very much...but it was just a hard, long day. From there, the other sisters started crying and some of the elders. Our district leader suggested we all go around and say the positive things that happened in the day. It was such a spiritual experience for all of us. We all walked out of the room with red eyes. I'm sure the people that saw us walk out wondered what in the world just happened. For me, it was an answer to prayers I had been having all day. It was evidence to me that God really does listen to our individual prayers NO MATTER how big or small we think the problem is. I love my district and feel so beyond blessed to have met them. The best part is we are all going to the same mission, so October 7th won't be goodbye! This is just the beginning of an incredible journey. For anyone going into the MTC soon...you will feel overwhelmed. There is just so much crammed into a day that the day feels like a week just happened. You will make mistakes, and you will feel under qualified. BUT. You will also learn in a very real way that our Father in Heaven loves you. He is there every step of the way to help you. That is such a profound lesson I have learned just in the five days I have been here. 
This is my district and a couple of elders in my zone. We went to the temple this morning. 
The sisters in my district. (Sister Dahlberg, Sister Petrie, Sister Shontell, and me!)

I love you all. I am so happy right now! I love being a missionary and learning how to become an effective missionary. 
Have a wonderful week! And WRITE ME!!! :) :) 

Love, 
Sister Furniss

No comments:

Post a Comment