Monday, November 10, 2014

One Month!

Dear Family and Friends,
This week was great!!! I have almost been out for one transfer, and I reached my one month mark! We had exchanges this week which I was super nervous for because I had to lead the area. I have always completely relied on my trainer, since she drives and already knows the people here. I felt the enabling power of the Atonement more powerfully in my life than ever before. We taught one of our investigators Alex the Plan of Salvation. The spirit was so strong as we testified of the plan Heavenly Father has for Alex. Alex is from Mexico. We can communicate well, but there are some words he just doesn't understand that we really need a translator for. As we came out of the lesson there was a cute family sitting at a table. The lady said: "hi sisters!" Now in Utah or Idaho this would not be a big deal, but in Missouri whenever somebody calls us "sisters" we know they are members - there are not very many members here so it is exciting. We walked over to the table they were sitting at and found out they are in the Rockwood 1st ward. (We are in Rockwood 2nd.) We introduced ourselves and they started speaking spanish to Alex! The sister is from Chile, and her husband served a mission in Uruguay. They visited with Alex for about 15 minutes and bore testimony of how the gospel has blessed their lives. They gave us their contact information and offered to come to lessons with us to translate. TENDER MERCY!!! That was NOT coincidence. 
We have really been working with a lot of less active members who have not come to church in awhile. One lady lives in our apartment complex. She has been on our minds a lot lately, we knew we needed to go see her. We visited with her for awhile and she said she would come to church. Yesterday she came, and bore a very powerful testimony in Sacrament meeting. She also does not speak english very well, so it can be hard to communicate with her, but the spirit was so strong as she testified of Jesus Christ.
After church we went over to this Sister's apartment and made tamales! It was so fun.
I think I need to start learning spanish...
We are teaching a man named David. I think he has been to like every single church except ours. He said he is still searching for the truth but doesn't know where to find it. Every single truth he is searching for is in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We testified that this is the same church Christ established when he lived on earth. And that everything he is searching for is here! David said he will continue to read The Book of Mormon but he feels that he has not received an answer yet. Patience is so important because the Lord answers prayers in His own time.
Being a missionary can be so challenging at times. This is the hardest thing I have ever done emotionally- having people step on the truths that are most precious in my life is disappointing, and it breaks my heart. But it is so worth it. I have been able to feel the Lord's strength and love in my life more than ever before. I love being a missionary!
PS. I can no longer receive mail from the mission office because I guess they don't forward it anymore. So if you want to send me a letter email me and I will give you the address to my apartment! sariah.furniss@myldsmail.net
I love you all!!  :)
Love,
Sister Furniss

No comments:

Post a Comment