Monday, April 6, 2015

I Stand All Amazed



Spring has Sprung!

Redneck bbq attached to a car frame

The Black Box
Dear Family and friends,

I LOVE this time of year! Conference is amazing, it's like Christmas for a missionary. All of the talks were so amazing. I can't say that I had a favorite talk, because they were all so inspiring, but I did have a really cool experience with Elder Holland and President Uchtdorf's talk. Before conference I wrote down and thought about some questions that I would like to be answered during conference. One of my questions was how can I make the Atonement feel like a reality? This seems like kind of a strange question but President Uchtdorf explained how I feel when he said something along the lines of "We often speak of the Savior's Atonement...as we talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, preach of Christ, and prophesy of Christ, at every opportunity we must never lose our sense of awe and profound gratitude for the eternal sacrifice of the Son of God. The Savior's Atonement cannot become complacent in our teaching, in our conversation or in our hearts. It is sacred, and it is holy." I really don't want to lose my sense of awe as I reflect on the sacrifice of the Son of God. This past week we were visiting a less active family and we showed them the "Because He Lives" video. As we were explaining the Resurrection the little girl, who is like four, exclaimed with her eyes bulging: "HOW DID HE DO THAT??" She was so amazed by the miracle of the Resurrection...as should we all be. That moment really helped me stop and think about the grandeur of the Atonement. In Elder Holland's talk he started off with the story of the two brothers which really tugged at my heart strings as I thought of my brothers, and how they would do that for each other in a heart beat. Then as I thought about our relationship with our Older Brother Jesus Christ, it really brought to reality the incomprehensible love that He has for each of us. 

We also had Zone Conference this week. Sister Tonnies and I got asked to do a musical number like 2 days before...and it happened to be April Fools day when they asked us, so of course we didn't believe them. So the day before when we found out it was actually real we put something together. It was really cool to feel the Spirit's guidance even with a musical number. We made a medley between "That Easter Morn" and "All Creatures of our God and King" it was beautiful. It is awesome to recognize the hand of God even in the small things. It was really good to hear from our mission president and his wife and learn together. It was combined with my last zone so it was good to see everybody again. 

At Zone conference they installed black box's in our car. It is a box that sits in our windshield and yells at us every time we speed or do something dumb. It is really, really annoying but I will get used to it. I guess it has reduced like 85% of car accidents in missions so it is worth it. 

Well, I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and enjoyed General Conference!! I love you all!! 

Love, Sister Furniss 

No comments:

Post a Comment