Monday, February 1, 2016

We Came Here to Learn

Hey y'all!!

We had the opportunity to learn from a missionary worldwide broadcast this week. It was such a great reminder of my calling as a full time missionary and the things that I need to improve on. We also had zone leadership training. My companion and I trained on using the fundamentals from Preach my Gospel more fully to help those we are teaching to build their faith in Christ. I learned a lot in preparing it with my companion. We also had president interviews. It is crazy to me that my next interview with my mission president will be my departing interview. 

This past week my eyes have been opened a lot on trials. Probably the hardest part for me of being a missionary is witnessing the struggles that people go through. I have met so many amazing people out here that have so much trust in the Lord as they endure trials. This past week I was studying about Alma's people in The Book of Mormon. They were a righteous people and they were keeping the commandments of God. There is a verse that really stood out to me this week: "Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. Nevertheless- whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day." (Mosiah 23:21-22) Alma's people were then taken in bondage by a man named Amulon. Alma's people were persecuted and they faced many trials. They started to pray and then were told that if they prayed they would be put to death. They then prayed in their hearts, knowing that the Lord would hear them. The Lord told them: "Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." (Mosiah 24: 13-14)

The Lord gives us trials as an opportunity to learn and grow. If we were never given something that would try our patience, how could we develop patience? If we were never given something that would try our faith, how could we develop faith? Spencer W. Kimball said: "No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. all that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God...and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father in Heaven." 

We have spent a lot of time in the hospital the past few weeks visiting a sweet lady who was baptized in August. She is such an inspiration to me. She is going through things that I can't even imagine, yet she is always so happy and optimistic. She takes advantage of being in the hospital by sharing the gospel with everyone who walks into her room. Because of her example of faith and endurance, her husband got baptized in December, and now her son who has been overcoming drug addiction wants to be baptized. If we look, we can always find a miracle in every trial. 

I am so grateful for the peace that the knowledge of Jesus Christ brings. 

I love you all so much!!! 

Love, 

Sister Kimille Furniss 

This is an awful angle, haha!! but we took Lori on a walk around the hospital.

Beautiful sunset on the lake


Some members took us to dinner at the famous Springfield "Horseshoe"
Sooooo Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment